National Thrift Shop Day and Back to School Shopping Go Hand-in-Hand
This Friday, August 17th is National Thrift Shop Day. It’s also just about time to send those kids Back to School. Let’s celebrate together by shopping and donating at your local Palmetto Goodwill store on National Thrift Shop Day!
Here’s 10 Reasons Why:
- You’ll save money. Whether your kids have outgrown last season’s clothes and they need a new wardrobe, or you’re trying to help your college student decorate a dorm room – school is expensive. Regardless of what you need, you’ll walk away from Goodwill with more bang for your buck.
- Create their own style. When you’re spending a little less, it’s okay to give your young ones a little more freedom to express themselves. Even if you know that lime green jacket won’t match anything else in their closet, Goodwill’s prices allow you to let them have a little fun.
- You never know what you’ll find. Sure, you’re supposed to be shopping for back to school but we won’t tell if you sneak a peek at the clothing racks in your size or somehow end up in the home section. Finding a little something that makes you happy too will make your shopping trip seem like less of a chore.
- Goodwill is tax free every day. South Carolina’s Tax Free Weekend has come and gone; but because Goodwill is non-profit, you can continue to enjoy tax-free purchasing all year long.
- Get rid of some clutter. Before you head out to buy new items, go through closets, cabinets and drawers and pull out clothes and other items you are no longer using. Drop them off on your way into any Goodwill store – can’t get more convenient than that!
- Goodwill keeps stuff out of our landfills. By purchasing gently used clothing, shoes and other accessories, you are giving new life to items that may have ended up in a landfill – and that helps everyone!
- You’ll be giving back to the community. By shopping and donating to Goodwill, you are helping people in your community. More than 90 cents of every dollar made in our stores is put toward programs and services that help people find jobs and improve their lives.
- You can teach your kids about helping others. Use your Goodwill shopping excursion as a teaching moment to guide them toward positive ways to help others, while managing a tight family budget.
- You’ll find more than just clothes. A mecca for affordable fashion, you can often find other back-to-school necessities such as back packs and lunch boxes.
- It’s fun! Embrace the hunt and you’ll be sure to have fun shopping alongside your kiddos. When you come across a treasure that makes you giddy, please share it with us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter!