V.A. Health Care

According to the Department of Veteran Affairs, all veterans are encouraged to enroll in the VA Health Care System. Eligibility for VA benefits is based on discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable discharge.


In order to be eligible for enrollment in VA healthcare, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Discharged from active-duty service under honorable conditions
  • Served a minimum of two years if discharged after September 7, 1980 (prior to this date there is no limit)
  • If a National Guardsman or Reservist, served the entire period for which you were called to active duty other than for training purposes.

How do I enroll?

To begin the process, veterans may complete an application for health care benefits via How To Apply For VA Health Care | Veterans Affairs

The form can be submitted online or mailed to the following address:

Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center

Eligibility Unit (Rm B189)

109 Bee Street

Charleston, SC 29401


VA Disability Compensation

VA disability compensation offers a monthly tax-exempt payment to veterans who got sick or injured while serving in the military and to veterans whose service made a pre-existing condition worse.

For assistance with filing VA disability and compensation claims, veterans may contact the following external organizations.


Charleston County Department of Veteran Affairs

The Charleston County regional office assists veterans and their dependents in filing applications to determine basic eligibility and conditions of benefits entitlement as administering by the United States Department of Veteran Affairs. All services are rendered free of charge.

Veterans Affairs Office (charlestoncounty.org)

Lonnie Hamilton III, Public Services Building

Suite B-154 (First Floor)

4045 Bridge View Drive

North Charleston, SC 29405

Phone: 843.974.6360

Email: [email protected]


Disabled American Veterans

The DAV assists veterans with filing of VA compensation claims, free of charge. Military members separating from active duty should talk to a regional Transitional Service Officer.

DAV.org : FIND DAV Local Offices and VA Assistance for Veterans.

For South Carolina Veterans, you may contact the Columbia regional office.

VA Regional Office

6437 Garners Ferry Rd, Suite 1129

Columbia, SC 29209



V.A. HUD-VASH housing program

HUD-VASH is a collaborative program between HUD and the Department of Veteran Affairs combining HUD housing vouchers with VA supportive services to help dislocated veterans who are currently homeless find, secure, and sustain permanent housing. Through public housing authorities, HUD provides rental assistance vouchers for privately owned housing to dislocated veterans who are eligible for VA health car services and experiencing homelessness.

At the end of FY2020 approximately 100,570 housing vouchers were allocated with nearly 80,000 veterans living in their own sustainable housing as a direct result of the HUD and VA partnership.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development-VA Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) Program – VA Homeless Programs

How do I enroll?

Any tri-county homeless veteran in need of financial or housing assistance will need to start with the VA CRRC to be screened.

Screening occurs Monday – Friday from 0800 to 1600.

Veterans can also present to 2424 City Hall Lane, N. Charleston S.C. 29406 or call 843.789.6804.

Any homeless veteran who is interested in HUD-VASH can present to the HUD-VASH walk-in clinic to be screened: Monday – Friday from 0900 to 1100 at Ralph Johnson VA Hospital at 109 Bee street, Charleston, S.C. 29401.

 Interested veterans may also call 843.577.5011 during the aforementioned time slots, extension 5396.


Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF)

For low-income veterans, SSVF provides case management and supportive financial services to prevent the imminent loss of home while likewise identifying suitable and sustainable housing for the individual and his or her family.

Homeless Veterans | Core Concepts (va.gov)

How do I enroll?

Any tri-county homeless veteran in need of financial or emergency housing assistance should contact the SSVF Intake Coordinator at 843.212.8697 or 843.212.8668.

Veterans may also submit an online inquiry for assistance via Get Help — One80 Place | Ending and Preventing Homelessness


V.A. Compensated Work Therapy (CWT)

 The mission of CWT services is to provide employment support to dislocated veterans reporting mental illness, physical impairments, or immediate barriers to employment as related to locating, securing, and retaining competitive, community based gainful employment.

It should be noted that veterans are NOT required to be service connected (rated disability) to be eligible for the CWT program and subsequent vocational employment services. To be considered for participation in the program, a veteran must be eligible to receive VA healthcare with a plan to return to gainful employment.

Information for Veterans – Compensated Work Therapy – Veterans Health Administration (va.gov)

How do I enroll?

Interested veterans will need to meet with their VA primary care provider and request an official consult to the CWT program. Once the consult request is received, CWT staffing will contact the veteran to schedule an appointment and determine eligibility for services.

If you are a tri-county veteran and do not currently have a VA primary care provider, pls contact the eligibility office at 843.789.7008.

Marketing Tag